Thursday, May 12, 2011

Little Delhi: a little delhicious!

Last night Collin and I had dinner with his sister Greer, who is in town on business.

"One good thing about living in San Francisco," Collin says, "is that people come visit you." This is turning out to be very true so far, although I still don't know why it was always so difficult to convince people to visit me in Atlanta. It's HOT-lanta people! It's where the playas play and whatnot! [Sigh.]

Collin's brother Dane and his girlfriend Anna drove up to join us, and at Collin's recommendation we went to Little Delhi, near the Powell Street BART. Yelp reviews are pretty good (which is probably how Collin found it to begin with because he LOVES Yelp) so we all agreed to meet up there.

I made reservations for six, even though it was a Wednesday night, and they probably weren't necessary, but by the time we left the place was filling up, even though it was a Wednesday night.

Overall, the service was decent. They weren't so great about cleaning off the table, but they kept our waters filled. The waiter was relatively patient and obliged Greer's request for a special dish that wasn't on the menu. The beer selection was quite respectable for an Indian restaurant. I always get Taj Mahal or Kingfisher at Indian restaurants anyway, so I'm usually happy. Others at the table preferred different beers, and were satisfied (although Newcastle was the darkest beer they had). They also have soft drinks. :-)

We got some papadam before the meal and the dipping sauces were SPICY! After tasting it, I worried about how spicy the meal would be, but our medium-spiced dishes were actually pretty mild. I find this to be the case in many Indian restaurants, but I've made the mistake of getting truly spicy Indian food before and in case you were wondering: it's truly spicy.

I got the Aloo Mattar and shared with Anna, who got the "Specialty" Paneer Shashlyk Tandoori, which was amazing! I don't usually get Tandoori because it's frequently meat and I am mostly vegetarian (mostly), but that is definitely worth seeking out. Yum! It came all sizzley and delicious and everyone at the table was jealous. The paneer was charred and the vegetables were not overdone. There wasn't much sauce, but the dish was full of flavor, even with rice. The Aloo Mattar was good too; the potatoes were soft but not mushy, as were the peas, and the sauce was delicately seasoned but flavorful, making use of the flavors of the potatoes and peas.

Collin got the Chicken Tikka Masala, which he seemed to enjoy, Dane got the Prawn Biryani, and Greer's friend got the Bengan Bharta, which I tried, although I have an irrational hatred of eggplant. I don't know if I tasted the eggplant, but I didn't like the dish very much. It tasted too sweet to me. However, Sara was pleased.

The food was quite reasonably priced: the Paneer Shashlyk Tandoori and Prawn Biryani were the most expensive dishes at $10.99 each. The rice and naan (both of which you must order separately) were good, although I didn't find them to be anything special. However, they were filling, so we did not get to have desert.

Overall, I definitely would recommend this place. The portions are very generous and the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. The service is friendly, although you should expect to ask for what you need beyond the most basic of services. However, once asked they are very accommodating. I look forward to going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment